Be Ambitious

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

San Antonio

Over MLK weekend, we decided to hit the road and have one last hurrah before Robert had to start school again. We went to San Antonio with some friends and it was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend with many highlights.....involving food.

I had to throw this in even though we do not have any pictures to document our visit to one of the most.....interestingly awesome trucks stops I have ever been to, Buc-ee's! One of their many billboards says it all, "You have to pee to believe". The best part of this little treasure was the jerky section where you can indulge in a variety of different kinds of jerky from turkey to buffalo and even the infamous beaver nuggets. Nice.

So here is the first picture on our tour of San Antonio. This is us at the River Walk. I was actually really impressed by the "River Rock" as the kids put it. It was really pretty and there are plenty of overpriced restaurants. Great atmosphere.


Here is Nate and his little friend in front of a fountain, I mean come on, what kid isn't attracted to water. Like a moth to the flame.

Food highlight. Four words: Three, Pound, Cinnamon, Roll! We found this diner called LuLu's that served these delectable delights that were larger than Nate's head (and my prego stomach, which I refuse to post the picture). The six of us made good work of it eating just about all of it. I think Robert at a lot more than the rest of us....he was pretty sick the rest of the day.

So, on the outside wall of the nice little diner was this painting. Yep, that is Robert and pay no attention to where his hand ended up getting located.

What is a stop in San Antonio without a visit to the Alamo. It was a lot different from what we expected. We almost were waiting to go out in the middle of nowhere and it be sort of like ruins. But, nope, you walk downtown San Antonio, pass some big buildings and then, bam, there is the Alamo right in the middle of downtown. Pretty hard to forget it there.


We also were able to find an old playground with a large labyrinth for the kids to navigate. It was located in Hemisfair Park next to San Antonio's space needle, Tower of Americas.

One of our favorite stops was a Japanese Tea Garden constructed in an old cement quarry. It was really pretty and there were beautiful ponds full of massive Koi. It was a really nice place and I am sure it is even better in the spring when everything is greener.


I had to include this picture of Robert and his surrogate daughter. She refers to him as "Robert Robert Rossy". I am not sure who is more enamored with whom. Robert is going to be such a sucker for his daughter and she is going to wrap him around her little finger, which is not a bad thing.


Overall our trip to San Antonio was great. Some other highlights of the trip that did not have pictures were the Mexican Linner we had (especially their breakfast plates served all day), trying on Mexican made professional wrestling masks (there is a picture out there!), Nate slipping in the mud and getting dirty, late night card games and Ben and Jerry's ice cream (only three different stores to find it...dang H.E.B.), the kids "sleeping" at night, and the morning McDonalds meal with the "locked bathrooms for customer protection".

3 comments:

Kristy and Erik said...

What a fun weekend! I see a little prego pic on here ;) I don't know what you are talking about you are so dang cute pregnant. It was so great to see you for the little bit that we did!!

David Kunz said...

Yes, I love San Antonio. Next time you go, smuggle me in a suitcase. And try Rudy's. Frickin awesome.

BeCcA said...

YOur pictures from San Antonio are great, looks like you had fun. I love the 3lb cinn. roll, it is bigger than Nates head!!!