So this week marks the beginning of my ninth month! I can't believe how fast it's gone. I was going to have Robert take a picture for me, but we didn't make it that far. This pregnancy has been much nicer in terms of size for me so I thought maybe I'd try to capture one picture that showed the belly off. I'll post it later if I get to it.
I wanted to write out some of my memories and thoughts about this pregnancy before it's over and I forget. This is probably more for me and my kids so don't feel inclined to read on.
First off, as previously mentioned, I'm about half the size I was with Nate. Thank goodness. I attribute this to knowing a little bit more of what being pregnant means. It's not a free pass because, believe me, it's hard work to get rid of all that later.
I carry this baby much higher. It makes for more heartburn. I have to ask for a prescription at my next appointment because over the counter just isn't cutting it.
I haven't suffered from the terrible nighttime cramps in my calves this time around, either.
Because she's so high, breathing is really hard. Especially when I lay down.
I am a naturally very flexible person, but I am very aware of all my supportive structures softening in preparation for delivery. I didn't really notice this with Nate, but my hips start hurting at night sometimes.
This baby, oh man, does she move! I can't remember to compare her to Nate because it's been almost 5 years, but she's a mover. She never stops, either. Go, go, go. Now that she's bigger it's pretty killer. Some favorites of mine are the somersaults (especially now because of her size), the diagonal stretch-out so I feel her head pressing into my hip (one of her favorites) and her feet using my ribs on the oppostie side as leverage. Ouch! Also, the tantrums. I'm convinced she's had tantrums inside me. I swear she's pounding her fists and stomping her feet because I look down and my belly is moving in two separate places with amazing speed.
Does anyone else have increased breakouts when they're pregnant? I really hate that! Hormones...
So far, no stretchmarks!
Nate's been up and down during the whole pregnancy. For the most part he's been very happy and excited to meet his sister. He loves to lay his head on my belly and talk to her. He also refers to her by name. He tries to feel her but is usually too impatient and is convinced he's felt her move when she hasn't. On the harder days, he doesn't understand why I won't play hide and seek (I don't hide very well anymore), do piggyback rides, or let him lay on me. It hurts! There's not enough room for two kids on me right now. I look forward to being able to pick him up in a big hug again, roll around on the floor or do puzzles on the floor again, and being altogether more active with him. I think he's missed all the playing. Thank goodness for daddy who is always willing to play when he gets home!
At the beginning of the pregnancy I was much sicker. And my vitamins were a real battle to keep down. Also, I did a lot of sleeping. Sound familiar moms?
I've tried to stay active and not change my lifestyle too much. I work out (now it's walking for an hour or the elliptical for 35 minutes) 4 times a week. I also love to play volleyball and have been playing it throughout. Yesterday was the first time I haven't played since I moved to Houston because I pulled a muscle last time. I never pull muscles! Anyway, usually I play v-ball 2 times a week. I hope to keep doing that up until delivery.
Okay, so enough of that stuff. I want to move on the to feelings I've had.
Girl? Girl? What? I know they aren't alien and so different from boys, but I've loved having my boy. I'm excited for her, but all I know is boy. I just tell myself that now I'll have someone to shop with, go to chick flicks with, and hopefully have a good relationship with like I do with my mother.
I know my heart will open more, but you love your kids so much. How much room is there in that small organ? Will there be enough for her?
Is this delivery going to be as easy as Nate's? Will the epidural be as wonderful? Yes, I love the epidural and plan to have one. Kudos to those of you who've done it without. This is another worry I have, because Nate came so quickly this one should be quick too. Will I even be able to get an epidural? Will I heal faster? Please, yes. Nate was born after just three pushes, will this be the same? I hope so. Will nursing be a nightmare again? I hope not.
Will the two kids sharing a room kill me? I am anticipating a couple really hard and tiring months with them getting used to each other. I want to start it from the very beginning so I'll have one less transition to worry about. There's enough of those as it is.
Am I being more realistic this time in my expectations? I hope I've matured a bit since I had Nate. It was a really big wake-up call for me to have a baby. I hope this time I won't be as hard on myself if I fall short of my own expectations.
I PRAY this time will not be followed by post-partum depression. That was very rough.
Robert's in the middle of his semester and has papers he has to present the day of her due date. Nate was born on his due date. He won't be able to be there if I'm in labor at that time. That I am not worried about. She'll come whether he's there or not and he's just there to stand next to me. I'm going to have to do it on my own no matter what. What I do worry about is the amount of help and support he can give me once we're home. I feel guilty expecting anything because he's trying to do what he needs to do to take care of us, but I know they'll be times I'll need to lean on him. Hopefully, the whole family will quickly get into the swing of things and it really won't be an issue.
So there it is. For posterity's sake. Bottom line, we are so excited to add to our family. We can't wait to meet her. I am anxious to see what she looks like. In her ultrasound she has the same profile as Nate. Will she look just like her brother? Will she have red hair? This is one we've thought a lot about. Will dressing her up be as much fun as I'm thinking it will be? We think we have a pretty good idea of her personality, but I can't wait to learn more about her. We feel so blessed to have another baby coming and hope that in the hard times we remember what it meant to us to add her to our family. So far, no regrets. Even during the sleepless nights, the painful hips, the heartburn and the extra weight. We welcome all of it if it means we have a healthy, happy little girl at the end of it all.
2 comments:
What a great idea to record your feelings about your pregnancy and anticipation of your new baby girl. I'm sure she will enjoy reading it someday. Oh, the last month! That is definitely the hardest time in the pregnancy. I think we begin to get sleep-deprived at the end on purpose. Then we are used to not sleeping at night when the baby comes :) I can't wait to see your little girl too. And, yes, it is fun to dress up little girls. I'm sure her shoe collection will some day catch up to yours too!
Good luck with everything Erin! I'm so excited for you. And by the way, the second time around is WAY easier than the first time - in every way. You will do awesome and Nate will be a great big brother and Robert will take a few minutes out of his busy schedule and hug you when you need it or hold his baby girl to give you a break. Dads love their girls!! The countdown begins...
I love the thoughts you shared about your daughter. She already seems likes such a sweet addition to your family. And yes, things will be easier and harder than when you had Nate. :) I did not have time for an epidural with Lillian but it was great because then I could go see her get her first bath and get up and walk around whenever I felt up to it.
Good luck with everything! We love you and think of you and your family often.
Post a Comment