Be Ambitious

Thursday, July 31, 2008

To My Wife


How could I love you more?
I would give up
Even that beauty I have loved too well
That I might love you better.
Alas, how poor the gifts that lovers give--
I can but give you of my flesh and strength,
I can but give you these few passing days
And passionate words that, since our speech began,
All lovers whisper in all ladies' ears.

I try to think of some one lovely gift
No lover yet in all the world has found;
I think: If the cold sombre gods
Were hot with love as I am
Could they not endow you with a star
And fix bright youth for ever in your limbs?
Could they not give you all things that I lack?

You should have loved a god; I am but dust.
Yet no god loves as loves this poor frail dust.

--Richard Aldington

Erin, thank you for making the last five years the best years of my life.

7 comments:

Justin & Allison Harmon said...

Happy Anniversary you guys! Five years...that's awesome!

Cheri said...

Happy anniversary!!!
Hey we might be doing a pulled pork all day tomorrow, smoked on the grill. If you get hungry later tomorrow give us a call. Our numbers are on the family web site under our profiles. Hope you have a great day!

Cheri said...

Beautiful poem by-the-way.

BeCcA said...

Happy Anniversary guys!!!! Iam so glad that Bob married Erin, love you guys

Monica said...

Oh, what a sweet hubby! Happy Anniversary (late)! :) It was good to talk to you guys.

Rebecca said...

I am so making Ryan read this! Bob you rock, and you're right on. Erin is pretty awesome!

ashlee said...

Cute, a little mushy, but cute. Happy Anniversary. Whenever I hear the word lover, I think of Clint Guymen talking about Nancy in church. I love those two.