Be Ambitious

Monday, September 28, 2009

Four-year-olds rock!

This is going to be me mainly gushing over my son. I can't get over how fast he's grown. Usually, I let these thoughts pass and share them with my husband, but I want to document some for Nate to read in the future. Like every mom I think I look at my child as a miracle. How did he come to me so small with everything in that tiny little body that he needs to become a man? Forget man (that's too far in the future), but a little boy! I don't have a baby or toddler anymore, I have a little boy. I look at him and all I see are these long skinny legs (definitely not inherited from his mother). I love to watch him work his little body and see the muscles activating under his skin. How miraculous it is to witness.

More than just his physical growth I'm astounded by his intellect. I'm always thinking, "When did you learn that word?" I love that he can communicate so well now. I love that he wants to talk to me and carry a conversation. I love that I can understand most of the words that come out of his mouth and he's not making up words that don't exist. This morning he woke up with a bite (always finding bug bites here) on his upper arm. He showed it to me and told me he had a new owie. Some words like "owie" I don't want him to grow out of. Anyway, I looked at it and told him not to scratch it because it was already the size of a silver dollar. The poor boy looked at me with big, sad, blue eyes and said, "Please, mommy, because it's so itchy!"

I also love how independent and helpful he is now. This age is by far my favorite for all the above reasons, but also because he can do so much by himself now. He puts his dirty dishes in the sink, he picks up after himself and knows the appropriate places to put things, he puts his own dirty laundry in the hamper and on laundry days he drags his hamper to the washing machine for me, he insists on dressing himself now everyday, he loves to dust and vacuum, and absolutely rocks at putting the clean silverware in the drawer. It's like heaven to have those small things done and done so willingly and happily. He loves it when he's asked to help and will drop everything with a huge smile on his face and run to me saying, "I can help you?" Of course you can! Anytime buddy! Four-year-olds rock!

8 comments:

BeCcA said...

That is really sweet Erin. I think 4 is a great age for all the reasons you listed. They just grow up to fast.

Catherine said...

Oh, I wish we lived closer! When we're in Dallas maybe we can make a trip out to see you guys. Nate is such a big kid now!

Heather Ridge said...

I had to make a comment here also. He is such a cutie and I loved his talk in Primary yesterday. So fun to watch him!

Taylor said...

He is my favorite 4 year old! What a fun kid.

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

Thanks for finding my blog. I added yours to mine, hope you don't mind.

Brooke Colvin said...

Couldn't agree more! There is such a difference between age 3 and 4 it's amazing. They are so much more independent and helpful and intellectual. You're right - it really is a miracle and a blessing to watch them grow up.

Lonni said...

Beautiful Erin...he is a special boy.

Marie said...

I know what you mean! Kellen's not quite four, but almost, and I love this age! He used to cry when I said it was time to clean up, and now he does it without being asked. Today I asked him to wash his hands before lunch and he said, "Sure, Mom! I can obey!" And the last couple of times we've had friends or family over he didn't get all hysterical (you know how he would get) when it was time to say goodbye. It's like things just really start to click at this age. I love having him around. Parents always say this about every age, but I reeeeally do wish that four could last longer.

PS: Sorry I never returned your call! I'm terrible. I'll try again soon, if I remember! :) We miss you guys!