Be Ambitious

Monday, July 12, 2010

Fire Ants

We went to go play sand volleyball last Friday after a lot of flooding here. It was nice to be outside for the first time in a couple of days. Where we get together to play there's a great playground for the kids. We got the kids ready and ran out the door. Nate was in flip flops and had been playing on the playground when he decided he wanted to play in the sand with his friends. He started to slip off his sandals next to the sand volleyball court and by the time he stepped onto the sand he was yelling. I turned around and told him to be tough, not realizing that he was covered with fire ants up to his ankles. He'd taken his sandals off right on top of an ant hill. One of the other moms who's lived here longer than us ran to Nate's aid and started swiping off his feet while she explained to me what Nate was crying about. I felt awful. Maybe I should listen sometimes before I try to toughen up my son.
This isn't his first encounter with fire ants, but it's definitely left more of a mark than the others of the past. To be honest, I'd never actually seen them until this happened. The photos aren't great, but his feet and ankles are completely swollen. If you click on the pic you can see a little more clearly.
He's got about 2o bites per leg and even some on his elbows. They've all turned to these angry red bumps with pustules in the center. Ouch.
Nate's been a trooper through it. He doesn't complain unless he's trying to put shoes on. He's so swollen that I didn't make him go to church with me yesterday. He stayed home with the rest of the sick fam. Scarlett with her pertussis, Robert with his cough, and Nate with his bites. We're a bit of a mess here, but gosh dang it, we're going to make it!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! What an experience for Nate..poor kid having swollen ankles and feet now.
We all have amazingly hardy, nasty colds now...all 5 of us. I agree with your last statement: "Gosh dang it, we are going to make it!" :)

Taylor said...

Poor little guy, those are no fun. Good luck with pertussis, coughing and evil ants: what is next for your sweet family... locust?

BeCcA said...

Wow you guys have had a rough time. Wish you lived closer so we could help out. Love ya all

ashlee said...

Ohhh, Nate! That is so sad. I feel like my feet always look that swollen by the end of the day. Your birth announcements were so cute and I couldn't believe when I read you post about the NICU! I'm so glad that things are better now and Charlotte is better. Scary!

Abby said...

You guys have just been having a crazy time! I hope everything's going well now--give us a call if you need anything! And tell Nate he's a trooper :-D