His office will be in this building (Old Main)
So, this summer we will be trading in this:
For this:
And this:
For this:
And this:
For this:
Robert officially signed the offer on Tuesday, and the fact that we will be employed when he graduates still feels surreal. These feelings are mainly because of how extremely difficult this entire educational process has been. For the past year, as Robert has approached finishing his program, he was advised to prepare for a post-doc and that getting a tenure track job would be a 2-3 year process. As his adviser put it, "lightning needed to strike" if he as going to get job. Speaking of his adviser, we had a definite love/hate relationship as he constantly ensured that Robert had really low expectations for a job. I cannot count how many emails Robert received that were at the same time encouraging and depressing! Robert ended up applying for as many jobs (roughly 30) that his narrow specialization would allow, and he was told that each job would have anywhere from 50 to 150 applicants. In the end, the harsh reality of the academic market (like other markets I assume) is that it is less of what you know and more of who you know. On this point, the purpose of our entire academic career was given meaning as people Robert had met and worked with at Chicago and Houston knew faculty at Utah State. Given this, his adviser said, "We can be cautiously optimistic that [Robert] may get an interview".
In the end, Robert ended up getting a few interviews (that included flying to the university to teach a class, give a research talk to faculty, and interview individually with the dean and the faculty) and it was more than just luck when Robert ended up getting two offers with one from Utah State (which was his top choice). We are so proud of his academic accomplishments and how hard he has worked to get us to this point--Robert never imagined how difficult this process would be when he started his program. We are also so grateful for all the people willing to write him letters of recommendation, make calls to people they knew in the department, and help him prepare for his interview and research talk. Robert's offer was truly a culmination of all these efforts. Speaking of efforts, we are also extremely grateful for Robert's adviser. While frustrating (putting it nicely) at times, we realize all he did and said was for Robert's benefit, and Robert would not have been successful without his constant mentoring. He truly embraced the role of adviser and, professionally, Robert is who he is because of him. For that, there are not words that can express our appreciation to and for him.
Overall, we are extremely excited about what Logan will have to offer us (not to mention the fact that we may never have to move again)! And, while we have enjoyed our time in Houston, especially all the people we have met and grown to love, we are thrilled to be moving closer to both our families (not to mention many of the friends we have in the Utah area). We definitely recognize the hand of the Lord in Robert getting this job (Robert's adviser expressed a certain level of disbelief with how quickly Robert got a job and even told Robert that he was a little envious with how easy it was for Robert). We know that this blessing has been the result of countless prayers and fasts on our behalf, and we are truly grateful for the love and support of our family and our Heavenly Father.







9 comments:
You warned us before we moved here that you would probably not be staying, so I'm trying not to be bitter and just be really happy for you guys. :) I'm so glad things have worked out and that Robert found a job. I'm also glad we have family in Logan so we'll be able to visit you occasionally. But until then--we need to hang out! Chocolate Bar maybe?
So exciting! Congratulations! Logan is gorgeous, and freezing:) I'm so excited you guys are moving onto the next phase. We miss you guys!
We are so excited for you all to start a new adventure in your lives. We are looking forward to having you closer to us.
I am so SO happy for you guys! What an incredible blessing! I sure hope that I am counted as one of those friends in the Utah area, because I would so love to see you! Congratulations!
Congrats to you guys!! That is so exciting. Good luck:)
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! That is amazing! I couldn't be happier for your family. I laughed when I read his advisor mentioned how "easy" it was. You two have worked so hard to get here and you deserve it.
Hey Erin!
Remember us?! I haven't checked any blogs in over a year, and decided it was time. Your kids are getting so big, and they are adorable! I'm so excited to hear that you guys will be in Logan! That's our home town, and our parents both live in Cache Valley. We'll have to look you up when we visit this summer! We would loveto end up in that area some day, although it would be sad to leave Nampa. Congrats on the job! Hopefully we'll see you!
Hey Erin!
Remember us?! I haven't checked any blogs in over a year, and decided it was time. Your kids are getting so big, and they are adorable! I'm so excited to hear that you guys will be in Logan! That's our home town, and our parents both live in Cache Valley. We'll have to look you up when we visit this summer! We would loveto end up in that area some day, although it would be sad to leave Nampa. Congrats on the job! Hopefully we'll see you!
This is so cool! I'm so excited for you!!!
Post a Comment