Be Ambitious

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

GOOOOAL!

I learned a valuable lesson the other day. Never let Robert go to Target by himself because he will always come home with something that was not on the list for him to buy. Now that the Spring is upon us, he concluded that Nate needs to learn how to play soccer, so he purchased a soccer goal and little ball. I guess that I should not complain because Nate was so excited to learn to play and even more excited to have Dad teach him. Although, once the goal was set up (which turned out to be the quite the ordeal...Robert is not the crafty type, or the type to follow directions) Nate was already a natural.


Here is a wonderful picture of Robert teaching Nate the finer arts of kicking a soccer ball. Although, I am not sure if Robert was trying to "teach" Nate how to kick, or just avoiding doing his homework. In the end, I think he had more fun than Nate because for some reason he continued to play even after Nate went down for his nap. Maybe Robert should have done his studying rather than getting nostalgic about the glory days and betting me he could kick a soccer ball a quarter mile.





Nate really enjoyed playing with his Dad and he actually was quite good at kicking the ball. By the way, the random kid in the background is Jackson. I was babysitting him and he was the cheering section for the soccer match.







Overall, it was a pretty entertaining day, especially when Nate realized that he was more efficient at scoring goals the closer he got to the actual goal. As the day progressed he got closer and closer until he pretty much took the excitement and challenge out of soccer by kicking from point blank.

Well, I think that today was a success and that Robert's extra shopping at Target turned out alright. I really enjoyed seeing Nate and Robert bonding and I am so appreciative for my husband for his willingness (sometimes too much willingness) to take some time and play with our son. Between the two of us, I am not sure who is more excited. Robert to be able to play with his son, or me being able to see the special bond between a loving father and an admiring son.

5 comments:

Jen said...

what a fun dad!!

Nettie said...

Bend it like Beckham Nate! :)

Andrea said...

Looks fun. Nate looks ready to play soccer. You'll have to sign him up in Idaho.

Cheri said...

Ha! I can tell Brett and Robert are related here! I can't send him anywhere that he doesn't come back with something for his kids. Good dad's are so much fun.

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

So fun! Did Bob also learn that he could do better the closer he got to the goal? We love you guys, and miss playing. Wouldn't it be fun if our boys could all play soccer together?