Be Ambitious

Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Dangers of Cell Phones

We have had quite the interesting experience this week, one that we do not want to experience again. Nate has this little game he likes to play where he will take something that he knows we use frequently and he will run and hide with it....charming. One of his favorites is our cell phones. Well, on Wednesday, Robert was working at the computer in our bedroom and Nate grabbed his cell phone and quickly ran to his favorite spot to hide in our bedroom, the giant, pillowy comforter folded in the corner. He loves to run, jump, and get lost in the sea of soft, billowy cushion (This is his favorite thing to do when it time for his bath). So, when he grabbed the cell phone and went and dove head first into the blanket, I think you know where this is going, he ended up smacking himself in the face with the phone. Given the phone is a blunt object, you would think it would not do much damage, but when Robert looked over to see why Nate was crying, he had a large amount of blood running down his face and a gash in between his eyes. I ran into the room at Robert's very vocal request, to see my poor son on the floor with his dad holding a giant roll of toilet paper up to his face.

As we looked at the cut, it was not that big, but the edge of the cell phone went pretty deep. So, we decided to take him to the ER hoping he would not have to get stitches. As I was taking him down to the car in his stroller, he had blood running down his face and all the people that saw us initially smiled, then when they saw Nate, were like "OH MY GOSH! THAT BOY NEEDS TO SEE A DOCTOR!" Thank you Captain Obvious.

When we got to the ER, we were hoping that a head injury and a toddler with blood running down his face would merit immediate attention. Alas, we had to fill out paper work and after almost 3 hours of waiting, we finally got admitted and Nate got his "awesome" hospital bracelet (it was over a day before he would let us take it off. He really liked it).

After we were finally admitted, it took another 2 hours before we were able to go home. Yep, you read it right, 5 hours in the ER for a head wound. We almost made it through 2 Disney movies before we were released (luckily the TV's in the room worked). When we finally saw the doctor, she gave us three options: 1) staple the wound together...sounds delightful! 2) stitch it....given Nate couldn't stop playing with his band-aid, really...stitches? and 3) glue it shut...one step shy of Duct Tape. I am sure you guessed which option we took. Nate was a little trooper through the ordeal as he had to be pinned down while they cleaned the wound and strapped to a child body board while they glued his head shut.

All and all, the wound is now healing nicely and we are glad that he is all right. He has yet to try and take one of our phones.

11 comments:

Jen said...

what a sad day! I can't believe they would even think of stapling that shut! that is crazy! I am so glad they have the glue now, it is the best. we have only had to do it once but I am glad it was available!

Rebecca said...

You can tell a cute boy because he's still cute with battle scars!

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BeCcA said...

Poor baby. Gotta love the glue, at least you won't have to go thru the trama all over again to take stitches out. I can't believe a cell phone did that much damage. Hope he is feeling better, give him a kiss from me.
P.S Bob, you know you would have dominated at Mario Kart, remember how good I was in college, I haven't improved at all!!!!

Andrea said...

That's too bad. Poor Nate. Hope he's doing okay. Don't you love the ER? We (all four of us) spent 7 hours in there when Allen broke his leg in Nov.

Erin said...

It seems that every parent has to go through the "take the kid to the ER for a head wound and wait an eternity" trial at least once.

I'm glad that Nate is healing nicely and I hope this is the last time you will all have to endure something like this.

Amanda said...

Scars are cool. I hate the ER, Mike would probably have tried to super glue it himself because of the dumb ER.

ashlee said...

Poor little Nate. Mean cell phone. I'm curious to know what the comment was that was deleted :-)

Justin & Allison Harmon said...

Ouch! Glad he is okay! So you are moving back to Nampa huh....we are in Meridian...maybe we'll have to bump into each other sometime. :)

Joseph said...

Glad to hear he's doing ok. Next time he injures himself let me know; I've got a roll of Duct Tape in my closet. Great post Erob.

Melissa said...

Who knew that a cell phone would cause such damage? I like your blog and it is always great to have a new blog to read