There are some opinions in here that everyone may not agree with so please remember that I am still a good person with a couple of questions...
So, the election... President-elect Obama... Conservative views... Blowing things way out of proportion here folks...
I, personally, voted for McCain, and even though he did not win, I am still trying to get a handle on the current situation and how I can go forward with the election results. I have to say that Robert and I have had more than a few discussions about where the Presidency of the United States is going (he is a political scientist so even if I wanted to, I couldn't avoid them).
I was sitting in church today, and I LOVE my ward and the church, but I have to say that I really disagree with the way the whole attitude about politics is shifting since the election. Our RS teacher, who I also love and enjoy immensely, got up and proceeded to share how her week had been an awful one and she didn't even want to come to church. I can identify with that one. Sometimes getting to church is more effort than I feel I can afford. She then shared how she watched Music and the Spoken Word and it helped her feel a little better. I was thinking to myself, "Great idea, religious music always helps me better prepare for church." Apparently, the theme of the music this week was patriotic, I didn't actually see the broadcast. She then shared how after hearing the music and becoming emotional she realized that everything is going to be okay with the country. There were heavy allusions in her story to how the election turned out. I think we are all entitled to an opinion, that's what makes this country great, but I really don't think it's appropriate to share them at church. Even the leadership of the church stays far away from sharing their own political opinions. When the election drew near all they counseled us to do was to pray for help in our political decision.
A portion of our lesson went into the signs of the times. We were asked to name a few signs of the times. Of course, the election and all the Propositions came up. Someone raised their hand and said that our government will be hanging by a thread and that it is now, in fact, hanging by a thread. I know that a lot of this is personal interpretation but I think that's very far from the truth. Also, it's not the government that will be hanging by a thread, it's the Constitution. If we were ever close to the Constitution hanging by a thread wouldn't it be in 2000 when the neither the popular vote nor the electoral college played any part in electing the new President to office? Florida's Supreme Court called for a recount but the Federal Supreme Court ruled that unconstitutional because the Constitution states that the President must be decided by January and if Florida reassessed the ballots they would not be finished by January. The result, the Supreme Court decided our President. So either way the Constitution was not upheld. The Constitution was hanging a bit more then than it is now.
Also, the election is over, people! There is nothing you can do now but to hope and pray for President Obama. You never know, he may turn out to be a great President. Remember, no one liked President Lincoln when he took office. I've found in the conversations as of late concerning the election, that not many people have a true understanding of what Obama's platform was and what he hopes to accomplish in his time in office. I think a lot of people would be slower to hate if they studied it all out and tried the get a working understanding for themselves rather than what they've heard from their neighbors or friends or in the office. One of the great things about this day is that information is right at your fingertips. Learn for yourself, try to gain an understanding and you may be surprised what you find. Finally, since there is nothing more you can do on the Presidential front, try to support him. We need to be a country united. If you really want to continue the battle, pay attention to the smaller elections that will be coming around soon and make sure you vote people into those offices that you believe will hold your standards and accomplish the things that you believe are important. After all, aren't the men and women of the House, Senate, and other offices in the nation the men and women that could potentially climb the ladder to run as a future President? In the smaller, midterm elections there are only 30-40% of voters showing up to actually vote.
So what's my point? The President has been decided. Although you may not agree with the popular vote and the electoral college, it was done Constitutionally. It's not the end of the world and it's not the end of the United States. The only question I have that I haven't been able to get a clear answer on is; is all the uproar due to the fact he's a Democrat or that he's African American? I hate the race thing, but no one can anwer that for me thus far. I realize this may only be an issue because of the region I live in (very conservative and mostly white) but I think it's very progressive and great that so many people can feel that they are sociologically represented in government when they have not been before.
So, don't judge me too harshly. I know some of you are going to really, shall we say, dislike what I've shared, but that's what's great about the United States of America. Besides, now I can say that I have worked out with the President of the United States!
9 comments:
I appreciated this post.
I have to teach the second coming lesson next week in RS and I'll be sure to try and steer clear of the "Obama is the harbinger/catalyst of the second coming" train wreck!
I think one of the worst things that has happened in the last 8 years to our country is the lack of support and respect for President Bush.
My 8 year old niece (who before the election declared that she HATED Obama because of his stance on abortion) just prayed the other night "We are thankful for President Monson (the leader of our church) and for President Obama. Please bless him, and bless us that we will like him soon..."
I think we could all learn from that!!
Amen, Erin. I don't think there was anything outlandish about what you said (but then again, I do live on the East Coast).
Great post. I like your opinion and how you are seeing broader than most conservatives. Didn't you meet/see Obama in Regents? I never did see him but we walked by his house lots on walks.
Amen! There was so much "hearsay" in this election, it drove me crazy! It was interesting hearing the African Americans in church yesterday talk about it. They were so excited! Charletta worked at the polling station where Barack voted, and actually helped him and his wife vote! It was good to hear a positive opinion for once.
I hated this election. I've NEVER been into politics until now. I agree with one comment on here about how the worst thing these past years has been the lack of support for Bush. The liberal media portrays things so much worse than they are.
After getting the facts about the candidates, especially Obama's views, opinions, and experience, I can say that I am very upset about who won the election. I don't think it's the end of the US, but I don't think it's going to make things better either. I am one of those who thinks that worse things are to come and that is just how the "plan" works. We need to stay faithfull and be obedient. I agree that politics shouldn't be preached in church, especially after seeing how heated it can make me. :) I think that if you can be optimistic and hopeful for the future after the election, that is the best way to be.
I have to echo the whole education comment. I think most voters were completely clueless as to the facts. It's unfortunate but as you said, it's over.
In this part of the country, it seemed that those who disliked Obama were basing it on the fact that he's a Democrat...and the tax positions that implys.
I must admit that Obama does make me nervous but I agree that we can't let that stop us from supporting him. We need to move on and do our part to help our country.
Erin, we miss you guys too! It looks like Halloween was wonderful. I'm glad you guys had so much fun, it gets better and better as the boys get older huh? I think it's been a hard election. I agree with you one hundred percent that we need to be united, it's so dangerous for us to be so divided as a country. I am also nervous about Obama precisely because of all I have learned about his platforms and ideas. But, Seth and I both think it is awesome that the country is at a point that an African-American could be voted in as president. I agree with Celia's niece...let's pray for our country and be American by accepting and trying to support our president.
Awesome. Love it. And I agree with your opinion on sharing stuff at church.
And I ran into your father in law at the gym a couple of days ago. : )
I noticed the same thing-- I'd talk with my conservative friends and they would say that the end of the world would come sooner if President Obama was elected. Then I'd talk to liberal friends who'd go off on how evil President Bush is and how he does everything for personal gain. I mean, c'mon, can we be a little less dramatic here? I just try to assume that both men have good intentions, regardless of the political way that they make decisions. There, that concludes MY soapbox! :)
Post a Comment