Be Ambitious

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween 2008

Halloween is so much fun when you have young kids! I had such a good time last night. I had been sick the night before and all day, but there was no way I was going to miss Nate's Halloween. This year we are lucky to be near family and friends so we had people to go with and they knew all the great places to go trick-or-treating.
Nate was Obi-won again. He was Obi-won last year, too, but that was in Chicago so I figured I had a bye for this years costume.
Unfortunately, for Robert, we didn't have any excuse to dress up with Nate so before we went out trick-or-treating he put on his Darth Vader costume that he inherited from his dad. I'm usually Princess Leia (not with the bikini, think white dress) but didn't feel up to getting all dressed up for a picture. Nate wanted nothing to do with his dad once the mask got on. I wanted a picture of Obi-won hugging Vader or sitting on his lap, but this was as close to him as Nate would get.We went to my sister Liz's house first to get started on the night. Her girls were so cute! Sydney, her oldest, was a pirate and Maggie was a sweet little Ladybug. Nate is infatuated with his cousins so it was perfect to go trick-or-treating with them. Thanks Liz and Jason!
Of, course we had to do all the picture posing wit the kids and stuff before we took off. They look great don't they?I had to throw in this little close-up of Maggie. I love those cheeks!As previously mentioned, these cousins can't get enough of each other.

The weather was so perfect and it was great spending the night with Robert. He usually teaches nights so I get pretty lonely at night. I even got to hold his hand a little!
This was the first year that Nate actually got the concept of Halloween. We did a ton of walking and I'd ask him if he was getting tired or if he wanted me to carry him for a bit and he was say emphatically, "NO!" It was all about the candy and running up to the doors with Sydney.Sydney was terrific. Most of the places we went had really long walkways up to the door so she would take his hand and direct him up to the front door. I loved standing back and watching. I could even hear them say, "Trick-or-treat!" and "Thank you!" They are really good kids.
We found that as the evening progressed, Nate decided to sit down on the ground every time he saw the camera. I am not sure if he was tired of walking and needed a break, or if his plastic pumpkin was getting too heavy to carry, but without fail, Nate always managed to sit and take a break when he saw us taking a picture.

After we managed to maximize the amount of candy we were able to get from strangers, we went to some more familiar homes, homes that actually let us inside. We made a stop at Grandma and Grandpa Kunz's house where Nate's sugary treasures grew exponentially. Grandma gave him another pumpkin full of more candy, little canisters of play-doh, a skeleton straw, and silly string. It was quite the haul and, needless to say, Nate was on sensory overload. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa Kunz

So, after all was said and done and people were no longer willing to have kids ring their doorbell, we went home to look at the fruits of our labors. Nate did very well for himself for his first real trick-or-treating experience. After he paid the modest Parental Candy Tax, he has quite the stash of candy to eat over the next few weeks. Nothing like eating a bunch of candy for the next few weeks to condition our bodies for the binging of Thanksgiving! Happy Halloween everyone!

7 comments:

Gina said...

Hey, Happy Halloween. I love the costumes...very cute. We know what we are having! How are you doing btw? How are you liking Idaho. Must be a relief to be around nice people!

Lonni said...

How Fun! You all look great! I love the Star Wars costumes.

BeCcA said...

The pictures are so cute, I am glad that Nate enjoyed Halloween this year. You all look so cute!!!

Kori said...

Looks like you had a fun night! Hope you are all feeling better!

Rebecca said...

I just love Nate, what a cutie.

Melinda said...

What loot! I don't have a kid to bring me candy. : (

Nettie said...

Fun pictures and cute costumes! You look so good! You're getting so skinny, I can see it in your face. Good job! I'm just getting fatter....but this is my last baby so I don't really care anymore. It'll come off eventually. :)