Be Ambitious

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Picnic in the Park

This past weekend we decided it was time to get out of the apartment and go to the park. Nate and Fezzik were both in desperate need to release some wiggles. Robert was too, I think, but I was more focused on getting all the unpacking done. After some convincing we all got ready to go. While I was finishing up, Robert dressed Nate. I laughed when I saw the ensemble. Nate's shirt is yellow with an alligator on it. This alligator shirt has a matching pair of plaid shorts but they were bypassed for the camo shorts of yesteryear. Those shorts are a 2T and still fit. Nate is so skinny! Anyway, I think the crowing jewel of the outfit is the blue Cars socks and the dark blue and tan Velcro shoes. I didn't mean to laugh so hard (Nate was laughing, too) but Robert changed Nate's clothes again before we left. Sorry, Babe, it just tickled me. Don't you guys think it's a fantastic outfit?
Anyway, back to the picnic. I packed us sandwiches, fruit roll ups, cantaloupe, and water with some sugar cookies as a treat. We loaded Fezzik into the trunk and all got in the car and headed towards the nearest park.
Nate was so happy! He and Daddy finished their lunches long before I did and they posed for me to get a cute picture. I really like this one.
We let Fezzik out to graze and pulled out Nate's baseball glove and mitt. He still loves it, Bec! We played catch. He is getting so good at it. Sometimes he got so excited that he threw the ball straight to the ground really hard. I guess he forgot to release it on time.
Can you see him reaching for the catch? Throwing we've got down, catching is another matter entirely. He's getting very close. I'm sure next time we take him out he'll have it down in no time.
Robert took his turn with catch and it turned into real coaching moments. It was really sweet to see him showing Nate how to step into the throw. Then Nate would get himself all set with one foot in front of the other, rock back and forth a bit, making sure he was in the correct position and then throw the ball to his dad. Look at him, doesn't he look great? I'm totally bragging way too much over my three year old playing catch, but it amazes me how quickly they learn and grow. Soon enough I'll be attending his high school games.
Just had to throw in a picture of Fezzik. He was so happy, too. Once he'd eaten his fill he turned into the Energizer Bunny. Every time we turned around he was some place far from where he was the last time we'd seen him. Tortoises can move! He was more unhappy than Nate when we had to go home. It had gotten so hot, Nate was sweating from playing so hard, and I'd run out of water for him to drink. When Robert picked up Fezzik he threw a little tortoise fit. He was whipping his arms and legs so hard and scratching Robert with his claws. We are going to have to work on his attitude.

Although I wasn't too keen on getting out of the house when there was still work to do, I'm really glad we did. It was really fun to see everyone active and smiling after a really long and hard week.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I love picnics at the park! And you could probably do those practically year-round now. I'm curious which park you went to.

Whitney said...

Good luck with the move and all the adjustments that come with it! Brandon will be working for Osborn Maledon in Central Phoenix.

Brooke Colvin said...

Hooray for picnics and playing catch! It is sometimes a pain to drop what you're doing and pack everything up to eat somewhere else, but in the end it is always fun and much more memorable than eating at your table at home.

I loved Nate's outfit too. It's always interesting to see what ensemble Brandon creates when he helps the girls get dressed too. It's the thought that counts, right?

BeCcA said...

Iam so glad that Nate loves his baseball mitt. Someday we can watch kim pitch for the Red Sox!!! I had no idea that Fezik could throw a fit, I learn something new everyday.

Kristy and Erik said...

I am so glad that you guys are all moved and in the process of moving in. It is so great to hear from you. It is great to get out and forget about things, for a min. anyway.