Be Ambitious

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Halloween!

This Halloween was our first in Houston and it is so nice! I loved being outside in just a t-shirt and mild temperatures with little noticeable humidity. I'm so excited for the next few months because everyone tells us it stays this way for a while.

Anyway, Halloween was so fun. We have made so many great friends that we definitely had people to spend it with . One of our new friends holds a Halloween party every year for the moms and the kids. We had two costumes for Nate this year, so we dressed him in the first for the Halloween party.

A chicken costume? Seriously, hilarious. I don't know if you can really see the fake legs hanging over the side of the chicken, but this costume is epic. I laughed so hard.

In this picture you can see the fake legs. The best part of the entire costume was the tail. When Nate ran it would wiggle with his little bum. Unfortunately, Nate didn't keep the costume on very long. He wanted to run and play and because we borrowed this from another friend I didn't want him getting it dirty. Thanks, Lyn, for the costume. Robert and I had a blast watching Nate in it.

At the party there was so much to eat and do. They had pin the nose on the jack-o-lantern, graham cracker building, pictures and sidewalk chalk. I know Nate had so much fun. Here he'd just finished with his graham cracker building.

Nate insisted we take a picture together.

Nate making history of his graham cracker building.

On Halloween night our ward had a trunk-or-treat. I love these! They are so smart, but at the same time I think it's so sad that it's not always safe for us to take our kids door to door. Nate's memories of Halloween will be so different from mine because of this. Anyway, for the trunk-or-treat, Nate was Obi Wan Kanobi. I don't know if I spelled that right and feel free to correct me any of you Star Wars buffs.

We have such a great ward. There are a lot of families in the same stage as us and most have children. It's so fun to watch the kids play and to get to know other families. Most of the women here are also super talented. I find myself thinking about picking up a new hobby because it's inspiring to see what they can do. The little girl in the green dress and wings came a Tinkerbell and her mom made the whole costume! Also, another friend lent us the robe that Nate is wearing that she also made. Our favorite costume of the night, though, goes to the little girl facing the camera. She's Princess Leia and her costume was so great. I loved her little fabric buns.

Nate and his closest friend here were rivals this Halloween. Of course, there had to be a light saber fight between Obi Wan and Vader.

Who won? I don't know, but those boys know how to wield their weapons.

After Nate got a chance to go around the parking lot trick-or-treating he sat in the van with me and helped me hand out candy to the other kids. As we get caught up in this I don't watch him and the next thing I know when I turn to look at him he's got Nerds open in one hand and licorice in the other. I didn't know his little hands were so dexterous and I have no idea how much he shoved down before he got caught. Robert was so proud...

The trunk-or-treat ended a little early, so a big group of families decided to go together to a safe neighborhood and let the kids do some door to door. It was so nice to go in a group. We wouldn't have gone with out it. Nate had a blast and got a good amount of loot. Ah, Halloween, the only day of the year you can ask for candy and get it handed to you every time. Too bad you have parents who limit your intake and don't let you make yourself sick! Being a kid is rough.

8 comments:

Felicia said...

That chicken costume is hilarious!! And I'm lovin' your hair Erin. Miss you guys!

Heather Ridge said...

Halloween was so great this year. Isaac is still talking about the epic standoff with Obi-Wan. I am already excited for next year.

acandiedapple said...

I LOVE your hair! It is so beautiful. Seriously. Love it.

Brooke Colvin said...

How fun that Nate got to wear 2 costumes! I totally agree with the trick-or-treating thing too. It is so different for our kids now. But thankfully they don't know any different. They get to dress up and get tons of candy either way :) I agree with everyone, your hair looks really cute!

Marie said...

How fun! I'm glad to here that you guys have good friends out there! That makes all the difference. Our ward trunk or treat party was fun this year as well. A group of us did even did the thriller dance on stage, Haley included! Nine months prego, and she still had good moves!:)

Lonni said...

Your hair is so cute! Nate is getting big too. Love his costumes! He is such a cute boy. Are you loving Texas? Do you talk like a Texan yet? Orion was only 18 months when we moved out there and we lived there for about 4 years so he talked just like a Texan for a long time. He has out grown it now. Sounds like you have some good friends already!

BeCcA said...

The chicken costume is great, he will love seeing picture later in life:) Your hair looks great, mine is about the same color right now, twins!!!!

Nettie said...

I love the chicken costume Erin! Those are hilarious. And great idea to do a babysitting co-op. I love free dates like that.