Be Ambitious

Friday, March 26, 2010

Houston Rodeo Part II

Well, for those of you wondering, I am still pregnant. So, to pass the time, take my mind off things, and try to ignore the over-sized alien trying to escape by belly-button, I thought I would blog. As promised, here is our day two trip to the rodeo. We actually went to the rodeo and experienced the rodeo food with some of our friends. The best part was we got a sitter for Nate... DATE NIGHT!

This was the view from our luxury nose-bleed seats. It was actually really nice because we could see the entire arena. There are a lot of things in this world that I am thankful for, the man (or woman) who invented escalators...GOD BLESS YOU! Climbing the small flight of stairs to our seats was bad enough, especially considering the number of times I had to go to the bathroom. But, riding the escalators up to the top section of Reliant Stadium rather than walking, pure genius!

I think this picture was during the calf-tackling event...you know a cowboy rides out and jumps off his horse and takes the calf down by the horns. I was waiting to see the big longhorn wrestling, but apparently that is not an event. It was the final day so this was the big money day. The winner of each event won $50, 000 and we saw calf roping (both individual and team), calf wrestling, barrel racing, bull riding, and bronco riding. The bull riding was really fun to watch. I was tempted to try it out...I bet that would induce labor!

Robert tried his best to look like a cowboy. Some of his suppressed Buhl Idaho redneck came out during the rodeo. Too bad his fake cowboy accent did not win him $50,000.

After the rodeo, it was time to eat. Wait, it is always time to eat lately. We sampled some of the finer cuisines the rodeo had to offer, like the 2 pound smoked turkey leg. We also had the chicken-fried bacon, fried meatballs, fried key-lime pie, and fried hot chocolate...wait the hot chocolate was not fried, I think it was the only thing there that was not fried.

Robert wanted to see how much of the Turkey leg he could get in his mouth. He has a huge mouth, so that should be a testament to how large this leg really was.

Here are our friends Matt and Brekke with their fried bacon and fried meatballs. Do not be fooled, they are really wearing coats and all bundled up. It was frickin freezing at the Rodeo. It had rained all day and then there was a nasty, cold wind. Good thing the food and company was great because the weather sucked. Overall, we had a great time at the rodeo and enjoyed our first experience. I think next year we will have to try some of the other fried food selections like the five types of sausages on a stick....I can hear my dad drooling now! If any one is looking to visit Houston in March, we would be more than happy to accompany you to the rodeo. Plus, next year Nate is old enough to mutton-bust! Strapping my five year old to a sheep to see how long he can hang on for dear life as the sheep runs for dear life...you won't want to miss that!

1 comment:

ashlee said...

If that food didn't send you into labor and the excitement of it all, I don't know what would besides a good Tetonia Rodeo (small town next to a the slightly larger town of Driggs)and Mutton Busting is my favorite.