Be Ambitious

Saturday, October 30, 2010

What does an allergic reaction to penicillin look like?

After we returned home from my sister's wedding, Nate developed a cough. He's always coughing here so I ignored it thinking it was the normal allergies. Well, the cough got worse and really violent so we made another trip to the doctor. They listened to him and took a swab of his throat. He tested positive for strep. Naturally, we were prescribed an antibiotic for treatment. On the evening of the ninth day of ten days of treatment he started to get really puffy. I was babysitting and noticed his feet we gigantic. He was hobbling around and as the night progressed, refused to put weight on them at all. As I looked at him I noticed little red dots all over his feet and hands and elbows. They looked just like another fire ant attack. Poor kid. We consulted some doctors and did what we could to help him. He woke up the next morning looking like this.
He told me he felt better but he was still really swollen and there were more spots and they had gotten much larger. Chicken pox, bed bugs, and hives fit the description. As the day wore on he kept getting worse and he couldn't walk. So I called the doctor again and made an appointment.

They took one look at him and knew it was a penicillin allergy. He won't be able to take it for the rest of his life. We were prescribed yet another medicine, a steroid, and told to discontinue to antibiotic. Nate has been so sick with stuff lately that for the last week he's been taking some sort of medicine (antihistamine, antibiotic, steroid, pain killer) almost every hour of the day!

As the doctor was looking at the charts for my kids she made a comment about how often we are there. Between the two of them I have been there 5 times in a little over 6 weeks. I'm so tired of my kids being sick. It's always one or the other. Is this normal when you're adding children to the family?

That night Scarlett got a fever and was so congested she couldn't breathe. Now she's coughing. I'm thinking I'll be going in again soon! :)

Just to add insult to injury, Nate ate two pieces of candy after trick-or-treating and starting screaming that his stomach hurt. Literally, screaming. He fell to his knees and started crying while clutching his stomach. We had just given him his last doses of medicines for the day five minutes earlier. I held him on the couch and tried to comfort him. He looked at me and said he thought he was going to make a big gross (vomit). We ran to the bathroom and he vomited so violently. I felt so bad for him. However, we'd lost the precious medicine we'd just administered. After talking with doctors again we put him to bed and I set my alarm for 1:15 am to get up and give him another dose. If he hadn't gotten sick again at that point we'd be okay. Thankfully, he didn't get sick again that night. This wasn't supposed to turn into a whining post, I'm really not, I swear. I'm just marveling at the craziness of life. Now I have to go pack up my apartment to move into a house by the end of this week! Wish me luck and healthy kids!

5 comments:

BeCcA said...

Iam so sorry for Nate, poor kid & poor mom & dad too. I hope you can have some time without sick kids. Wish I was there to help you out.

Erin said...

As I was reading this, I totally thought to myself "Wow, she has really been through a lot of sicknesses with her kids". I definitely think you deserve to whine a little!

You've been through a lot...I hope you guys stay healthy for awhile!

Laura said...

We've had the doctors ask if they should just give us our own permanent room since we were there so much one summer/fall. The benefit to going so often is that you really get to know your doctor well and they know your kids well too! I love that part of it...then there's the bills part.... :)
I'm allergiv to PNC too! It hasn't been bad, just make sure you tell every doctor about it. AND, I hope your kids get healthy and stay healthy for your move.
-Laura

Cheri said...

Oh, that's too bad. Tell Nate I say welcome to the world of penicillin allergies. It can be difficult sometimes to treat things, but I've managed.
Oh, and I think it's awesome you ran a half marathon. Brett is doing one on Saturday. Better you guys than me!

Catherine said...

Good grief! You guys have had a bad year, haven't you! I loved the Halloween costumes - so clever! I especially love the green jacket. What a great idea!