Be Ambitious

Friday, February 18, 2011

Adventures in Cooking

We LOVE food at our house and so we also must LOVE to cook. I really hope someday to go to culinary school. I always look at things and try to figure out how it's made. I think if I can buy it in a store, I can make it at home myself. My latest project was challah bread. It's so good! I've bought it for french toast and other things. I thought I'd love to learn how to braid it as well. This was my first attempt. I think they came out really well. I've since made challah a couple more times. The second time I did whole wheat and it did NOT turn out as well. Since we love to eat so much I'm always trying to health things up a bit. I learned that challah is just not one of those things that should be healthed up. It's perfect as is. Anyway, my favorite part is the braiding. I hope to get good enough at it that if Scarlett ever wants her hair in a six strand braid I'll be able to do it.


I think I've mentioned that Robert got the Barbecue Bible for Christmas. One of the reasons he got it was because when we were living in Idaho his cousin Brett and his wife Cheri made this amazing pulled pork from it. It has the best vinegar sauce...oh, it's so good I'm salivating just thinking about it. Anyway, we tackled the pulled pork and invited some friends over to share it with us. It was really good. It wasn't perfect but next time it will be. It's hard to learn how the temperatures in your barbecue work in the beginning. We'll turn down the heat and go even longer in cooking time next time. We've found we really love having a barbecue. My favorite part is that is saves you from cleaning at least one pan the night you barbecue!
So there it is. We don't mess around with food here at the Ross'.

4 comments:

BeCcA said...

Yum yum yum, your pictures make me hungry.

Amelia Brame said...

Ok so I had that bread ALL the time on my mission and it was DELICIOUS! My favorite by FAR! I need the recipe from you :)

Nama said...

That challah looks a-mazing! I'm drooling right now just looking at the picture. Awesome job!

Cheri said...

Awe yeah! The pulled pork is the end all of awesomeness! I think Brett and I should get commission for how many BBQ Bibles we've gotten people to buy, lol!