Be Ambitious

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

While Dad's away, this is how we play

Robert has been away a lot recently presenting papers at Poli Sci conferences around the country. We are always very excited every time he's selected to present, but I'm learning that means lots of days of being a single mom and usually it's over the weekend. The most recent conference was in Las Vegas and he was gone for 5 days and 5 nights. We did really well without him, better than I thought, but it was still hard and lonely so we did our best to stay busy.
Since we got a new camera for Christmas I practiced with it a lot and goofed around with all the functions while the kids played in the yard.
We worked on the garden. I bought pansies and marigolds and lots of herbs and the kids helped me plant them. They love to help water them everyday. Our tomatoes are doing amazing.
Nate was invaluable while Robert was gone. He was the person I talked to and the person I relied on for help. He really stepped up to the challenge. He helped with Scarlett whenever he was asked. This is him making sure we gave the plants their food. Can't forget to feed the plants!
Nate also did a ton of puzzles while Robert was away. It was quiet and it kept him involved in something for quite some time. It was the perfect nap time activity while Scarlett slept. The Little Mermaid puzzle pictured here is 250 pieces and it took him 3 days to finish. I was so impressed with how intent he was on getting it done. He loved to work on it with me and I had a great time doing something with him one on one.
By far the hardest time was bedtime every night. I don't like being alone in the house without Robert. The kids would get ready for bed and then I'd be alone for 2 or 3 hours in the quiet house to worry about things that are completely unlikely to happen. So, in an effort to occupy my mind with happier thoughts, we made bedtime a little later (which Nate loved) and we tried to make it really fun. The kids love to give each other good-night hugs. Scarlett squeals and giggles and Nate laughs and blows raspberries on her. It is one of my favorite things to see them just love being siblings. I hope they always love being around each other like that. If I don't let them get in the hugs and kisses before bed, one of them not so quietly reminds me that it is necessary for good nocturnal rest.
My kids brought me so many smiles while Robert was away. One day while I was keeping busy elsewhere, Scarlett got into the office and found Nate's Nerf darts. I walked in and just busted up laughing. It just really tickled me at the time.

Robert got home safely and we were so happy to have him back. It's hard when he's gone, but I love the smiles and excitement on my kids faces when he comes home. It's almost worth not having him just to get to see the moments that they really show they love him and need him. Almost.

No comments: