One of the main events for the summer was a monster trip to Arizona and California (Erin will probably blog more about this trip later). One of the features of this trip was an early anniversary celebration. To tell the truth, the entire trip was planned around our anniversary until California and a trip to Disneyland got added to the agenda.
Ever since I saw Wicked in Chicago I have become obsessed with Broadway shows. Recently we saw Phantom in Vegas and I told myself that I had to see Les Miserables. So, I looked at the summer traveling Broadway schedule and saw that it was going to be in Tempe at ASU. I bought tickets and told Erin that we were going for an early anniversary.

We were fortunate to have my parents willing to watch our kids--I did talk to them about it before I bought the tickets. That meant we got to be adults for an evening! Much of our life revolves around food, so we wanted to try something new for dinner. We found this awesome little restaurant close to ASU campus and it was fantastic. It was called the Cornish Pasty Co.
Inside it was tiny, a few tables and a bar. I love these types of places. The food was amazing. We ordered British baked chips with raw garlic, rosemary potatoes, a potato and leek soup for Erin, a grilled steak with rosemary potatoes and brie cheese pasty for me, and a salmon with asparagus and red potato pasty for Erin. So much food and so much goodness.
After dinner we went to the play and it was remarkable. It was my first time seeing it and I would love to go and see it again. I loved the music so much that I went and purchased the entire original cast score and we listened to it on the way home. Great way to kill 3 hours of time through the wasteland that is west Texas.
We also booked a room at a swanky resort in Scottsdale and with no kids we stayed up late and slept in late. After the show we wanted to get dessert. Unfortunately, most places were already closed so we settled for McFlurries at McDonalds. FYI, their new Rolo McFlurries do not have actual Rolos in them. Disappointment.
In the morning we went to a breakfast place in downtown Phoenix that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives called Matt's Big Breakfast. It was another small dive, but really good food. I recommend going for lunch as they make their own fantastic breads and I am sure they make amazing sandwiches. Overall we had a wonderful early anniversary celebration and looking forward to anniversary no. 2 at the end of July (our actual anniversary)There will be some lengthy posts to come as we need to document the three days in California featuring Legoland, California Adventures, and Disneyland.
1 comment:
So very glad you came out to spend your early anniversary with us. We had a great time.
Post a Comment