Be Ambitious

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Visit with Robert's parents

Robert's parents came to visit us here in Houston. I have to admit that I've lost a bit of the blogging bug and have fallen behind. I'm ashamed to say that their visit was in March. It's May now and I'm just finding the drive to post. Hopefully I'll catch the fire again by just getting started.


As always, we have to pack in as much as possible when we have visitors.  We love to stay busy and Robert's parents are always up for the fun.  They initiate most of it themselves.  I have to say I'm grateful for that because when you've lived somewhere for awhile it's hard to think of things to do that you haven't done.  Robert's mom is especially good at finding things to do.  When they travel she makes these great scrapbooks and whenever I get a chance to look through them I want to retrace her steps exactly.  She always finds great things everywhere she goes.  So, our first stop was Schlitterbahn in Galveston.  Nate was so excited.  I have to say I was a bit of a wreck because small children in water worry me so much.  Nate did so well and loved every ride.  Scarlett didn't warm to it immediately but after a few trips around the lazy river and some quality time on the kid sized pirate ship, she was in heaven.  I love watching my family have fun.


Next we visited the USS Texas.  It was amazing to see a ship so old and so recently used up close.  To anyone who gets a chance I would recommend the visit.  It's a pretty small area to cover so it's great for small kids.  There's a few plaques that give you a brief history and there is also a tour.  I love historical stuff so I read everything they had there.  The tour looked like it would have been tricky with the kids so we didn't do that part. 

Nate posing with Peepa and Beema Ross.


Scarlett wanted in on that action so she is posing with Beema and Nate.


Playing in the park next to the ship.


Big old cannon.  Attracts every little boy like moth to a flame.


We had limited seating in our car and we had to get creative.  Shhh!  Don't tell on us.  We know it wasn't the safest but Robert's dad was always more than happy to ride in the back.  Notice all the pillows.  I think he liked the fact that he could scrunch down and close his eyes.  Usually he does all the driving everywhere we go so I think this was a nice change for him.


Just across the way from the USS Texas is the San Jacinto Monument.  It looks like the Washington monument but it has the giant Texas start on top.  We are proud here in Texas.
 

Nate and I on the ground floor of the monument.  They had a bunch of uniforms and firearms and lots of other artifacts along with the story of the Battle of San Jacinto.  I thought it would be a great opportunity to read to Nate some Texas history as we went through the exhibits.  He lasted about 5 minutes.  I hope he develops an interest in history later in life.  It's so interesting to learn the stories of times past.  Anyway, the history lesson didn't go as planned but it was a lot of fun.  Nate pulled me through the exhibit so I didn't get to read everything but it was another place that I thought was fun and quick if you have kids.


There is an observation deck on the top of the monument.  This is the view.  You can see the USS Texas in the upper, right side.


Scarlett loved the observation deck.  She could barely see, but she loved it.


Nate loves the viewfinders.


On the steps of the monument. I loved the imprints of seashells in all the concrete and on the monument itself. I thought is was a nice homage to the gulf location.


The outside of the monument. It was hard to get a clear picture of the monument's entirety. You can barely see the star. Yay TEXAS!

This was our first few days with Robert's family.  There was a lot more to do and see that will be posted later...hopefully just not 2 months later!!

1 comment:

Felicia said...

I can't believe how grown up Nathan is! And what a cutie!

(This is me trying to motivate you to blog more often--not that I'm one to talk! Miss you guys!)