Be Ambitious

Sunday, January 6, 2008

An Arizona Christmas

We have finally returned from our holiday travels. It was so nice to go back to Arizona after just three months in Chicago to visit. It was also really nice to leave the cold winter weather behind for a couple weeks.

I've been in the Ross family for about five years now. I thought that I had experienced all the family traditions...I was wrong. I vaguely remember Robert mentioning Christmas pinatas a couple of times but I had yet to experience it first hand. Apparently, they used to make homemade pinatas and break them open Christmas Eve. This is a new tradition for me and I had never heard of it before but the Ross' assured me that it is quite common. This year we were in Scottsdale for Christmas Eve. It was so much fun to see how excited everyone got as the Curious George pinata was strung from the rafters in the barn. Poor George.

The first to take a whack at it is also a first timer. This is Amy (CW's wife) swinging away.

Charlie was like an old pro as the kids spun him around and he took his swings.

CW was also really good at it. He was the jokester during the whole thing, though, telling everyone blind-folded to go the other way therefore completely confusing us all.

I have to admit that I was terrible at the pinata thing. Even as a kid I didn't like pinatas and I would cheat because I didn't want to swing and miss.

Even Robert's Grandma Hinman got in on the action. It was a really good time.

Nate wanted his turn and was so excited to see George. I think he got upset when he realized what we were trying to do to him. Instead of taking a swing at the monkey, Nate tried to take off with the bat and wouldn't give it back.

Once it was Robert's turn it was serious business because George hadn't been broken yet. But alas, no luck for Robert.

Sandi also got in on the fun. I think it is a really good tradition. Although it seemed strange to me at first, seeing all the smiles and hearing all the laughter totally pumped me up to continue this Christmas Eve tradition.


On Christmas morning we began the day in Casa Grande. It was a ton of fun because CW and Amy stayed the night. We stayed up late the night before watching "A Muppet Christmas Carol", another Ross tradition, and eating yummy food. In the morning we started with stockings, of course. Stockings are my favorite part of Christmas.

I couldn't get Nate into the whole thing though. I really bummed me out but he got it near the end when he saw the toys and Yogos coming out.

Last year's Christmas was spent in Idaho with my family. There is one tradition in my family that I love and that is one gift on Christmas Eve. It is ALWAYS pj's. My mom is so proud of her Christmas shopping abililites (and I think she should be, she rocks) and she always found ways to surprise us with goofy pj's. Last year she out-did herself and got all of us kids, who are all grown adults, footies pj's. It was hilarious. We all looked like overgrown Teletubbies. Anyway, somehow in the move we left our footie pj's in Arizona. Well, Christmas morning, Robert's parents handed him this giant box to open and what's inside?? You guessed it...our footies. It was pretty funny.

We were really excited this year to give the gifts that we found for Robert's family. For his mom we got a University of Chicago tree ornament, and a framed picture of Nate in his University of Chicago t-shirt.

Robert's dad was really fun to shop for because during their cross-country trip here to Chicago, Charlie depended on a giant Dr. Pepper everyday to help him through. Robert and I were able to find some Dr. Pepper pj's for him.

We had such a good time opening presents that morning. It's so fun to watch people's faces as they open the gifts you've brought for them. Robert is especially fun because after he rips open every gift it's inevitably followed by his explosive, infectious laugh.


After we finished up in Casa Grande we made the trek to Mesa for Christmas lunch with Robert's Grandma Hinman and Aunt Diane. They are so generous and always spoil us and Nate. I think Nate's favorite gift of the day was the Spiderman pj's he opened from his Aunt Becca.

Becca's husband, Jr, bought for me this year and I love what he got me. He got me a few new tops to wear. What girl wouldn't love something new for her wardrobe?

After a long day of watching the process, Nate finally caught on and helped us open the last of his gifts. Being the only grandchild/great-grandchild he was immensely spoiled.

It was so fun to see family again and celebrate the holiday with them. I am so grateful for them and their example and their influence. I am also grateful for the Savior and I always look forward to this time of year to celebrate Him. We are so blessed and I owe all of it to Him. I hope everyone had a great Christmas holiday themselves. Merry Christmas!

After posting this I realized that a couple of pictures were out of order. It took so long to do this post that I don't feel like fixing it so pretend they're in the right place! :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

that looks like fun!
I haven't ever heard of the pinatat thing either, but i am glad it was fun! it was too bad we didn't get to get together, stinkin christmas being on play group day! what's w/ that!?!
Glad you made it home safe!

Erin said...

Looks like a fun Christmas! I love the pinata pictures...what a fun tradition!

Nettie said...

Sorry we didn't get to see you while you were here. Bummer! Glad you had a good time though. I'm totally telling my bishop on Charlie...drinking Dr. Pepper??!! What a sinner. :) Just kidding. Our bishop told Bryce caffiene pop is a no-no. (Don't tell, but we still have some in the garage!). :)