Be Ambitious

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Convocation 2008

So this is going to be one of the last posts on our blog before we move. I've got 9 days to pack up our apartment and get ready for the long drive, but I'm not even sure where I can find boxes. So in an effort to avoid that giant mountain I have to climb I'm going to brag about Robert's graduation. I know I'm going to sound totally proud, but I can't help it, he's awesome and he accomplished something great in only one year, he's received his Master's in Political Science. It's been a year of major ups and major downs but as we walked up to the ceremony on the University of Chicago campus, I couldn't really remember all the tough stuff. It was a bit surreal in the fact that everything that day was so beautiful. The weather was overcast so we didn't roast, it wasn't too humid so we weren't miserable and the campus itself was the most beautiful I've ever seen it. The ivy was so green and it looked so amazing against the backdrop of Gothic architecture each of the buildings offered.

I'd be lying if I said I loved graduations. I was forced to attend my own. I don't like being in front of people and in my opinion the important thing is the document I earn, not the spectacle of receiving it. Nonetheless, Robert energetically nudged me into walking. I have to say that I wasn't looking forward to the long speeches that I knew would massage each of the graduates' egos, but I went that day with a smiling face and a good attitude for Robert and his family. Such were the same feelings I had for Robert's recent graduation. I don't want to sound like a complainer so I will add that it was a surprisingly enjoyable afternoon. Most of the speeches were not too long and some had a little humor. Also, since Nate was with a babysitter I was able to sit and be an adult and not a worried mother trying to make sure her child isn't making the event miserable for those around her. It was also interesting to look through the program at all the graduates and their accomplishments. Graduate school is a big deal and finishing it is even bigger.

Before the actual ceremony we had to pose for a few pictures. This is in front of the bookstore on campus. Robert really dressed up for the occasion and I think he looks great.

Once we were all seated we had to figure out how to pass the time. I pulled out my camera. What else was there to do? My parents and siblings weren't able to make the trip because of my Grandpa's death but we still had Robert's parents and his brother, CW, and his wife, Amy.
CW and Amy are still newlywed so they don't have kids of their own yet, but I believe that they really love them. There was a family with 4 kids sitting in front of us. I don't think the oldest was over eight and there was a set of twins. It took no time at all for the six of them to bond. In this picture they are all teasing CW by putting their "stinky feet" all over him. He totally played along and made it a good time for everyone around him both kids and adults alike.
Aside from the long wait and the speeches, it was a really nice ceremony. They wouldn't call it a graduation or commencement, though. They called it a convocation. Graduation is incorrect because it was the end of something familiar, and commencement is incorrect because it is the beginning of something unfamiliar. Whatever they want to call it is fine by me. We made it. Robert made it. I don't think I've seen Robert smiling so big for a school related event. It was a great moment for him.

Afterwards more pictures followed. Our camera died before we could get one of the whole family, but we were able to get one of both of us after the ceremony. I couldn't be happier to be married to a guy like Robert. There are so many reasons why, but because this is about his "convocation" I'll keep them pertinent to the subject. He is very driven and wants to be able to provide a good life for me and Nate and possible future children. He's determined once he makes up his mind and constantly tries to do better than before at everything he undertakes. I'm so proud to have a man in my life that values education like I do. We aren't done yet, either. We still have a PhD to get. I am so happy that he sets goals for himself and works hard to achieve them. I will continue to stand beside him and go wherever he goes to help him reach his dreams. Congratulations, Robert! I love you and am amazed at your diligence. You've made me and continue to make me the happiest I have ever been.

7 comments:

Cheri said...

That's awesome. We are excited to get you guys here!

Amanda said...

That's an amazing accomplishment, congratulations. It is a strange feeling not to be worrying about a little kid running around every second, I don't know what to do with myself when my kids aren't around to chase after.

Rebecca said...

Behind the best masters students are way cute wifes doing the dirty work!
Congrats to you both! I'm so glad you are done with this chapter and so happy you get to start a new one with us for New Years!
And tell Indiana Ross he rocks!

Andrea said...

The weather was perfect for Ross's graduation too and the campus -- gorgeous. I read your description, nodding because you described it to a "T".

We've got some boxes for you!

Jodi Reeve said...

Yeah, Erin, grad school is hard, but I am glad you made it through. The other comment was correct isa sying their our wives (or husbands) behind the other rooting them on and without that it would be much harder.

When we moved I got boxes at a local recycle center..I know you are in a big city and may not have that, but maybe??? Good luck!

Jen said...

congrats!! that is a huge accomplishment! and even though this is about him I have to say you look gorgeous in that last picture! I love your hair!! as for boxes, we always get ours at walmart after they are done stocking

ashlee said...

Congratulations robert! erin you look amazing!