Be Ambitious
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Galveston Beach
About a week ago we went to the beach with our friends, the Ridges. We had been planning a trip to Galveston for a while but never made it ourselves. That's why I love all our friends here. It makes for great company while we go out and explore where we live and they motivate us to do so. So the morning of the trip we packed a picnic and headed to the beach. When we got there Nate climbed out of the car and announced he was going to stay away from all the crabs because they would hurt him and pinch him. I said, "Good idea" but was totally confused as to where that came from. I told him I didn't think there would be any crabs to worry about anyway. So off he ran to the water while Robert and I got things set up on the beach. I asked Robert about it and he just smiled and said, "Mario Kart, Erin." Has my son been playing too much?
The boys loved playing with each other, of course. We need to thank the Ridges for lending us Brooke's water wings. Nate was a little too bold for me. I think I'm such a downer whenever we're at a pool or any other body of water because I'm so paranoid. Water is one of my greatest fears. That's part of the reason I lifeguarded for so long. I figured the more I knew about it and the more I experienced with it, the better. I was just like Nate when I was younger, though. My mom said I was a fish and would just jump in without a second thought.
It was really nice to go as a family. Robert's had quite a bit of time off since the semester ended. Now he's just waiting to start teaching for the summer. I think he might be going a little crazy with nothing to do. For some reason he doesn't find my asking for help with Scarlett and housework too stimulating! Anyway, Robert took Nate out pretty far and they jumped the waves. Nate had a blast and you could hear him laughing through the breaking waves all the way up to the beach.
The Ridges came prepared with so much stuff for the beach. They built a sand castle and Nate even got out of the water for two seconds to help!
The water was so nice that day. It wasn't even cold. It felt so good. The sky was overcast and there was a breeze. It was a perfect day. None of us fried, thank goodness. The only sad thing about the day was that I got a little paranoid and we left only a couple hours into the beach because Scarlett wasn't doing so well out in the sun and heat. She wasn't eating well and it looked like one of her legs got too much sun. I didn't want to be the mom who sunburned her newborn so we packed up after the picnic and drove home. We had so much fun despite the limited time there and hope to go back when Scarlett can handle a little more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love that beach! We used to go there all the time too with our friends. Makes me miss it looking at all your pictures. We had a beach house about 20 miles from there, Surf side. We rented it for about 6 months. How fun!
Gavin and I have gone private. Email me and we'll send you an invite. karenalapray@yahoo.com
Post a Comment