Be Ambitious

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Parker Piano Recital

Near the end of Nate's first grade year there was a piano recital put on by the piano students at Parker.  Most of the students chosen to participate were the children that excelled in their age group.  It was a great honor for Nate to be selected because first graders are rarely invited to participate. 

When Nate's teacher pulled me aside and asked me if I thought Nate would be interested I was very excited.  It was hard to keep the Proud Mommy in check and let Nate make the decision himself.  He was so excited that I was caught off guard.  At his age I would have been nervous.  He was brave and fit right in.  He was the youngest pianist there and you'd never know he'd never played in a recital before. 

He played a couple of his songs and did a great job.  He doesn't seem to get nervous at all when he's playing in front of a crowd.  If anything, he plays slower and more meticulously.  After he played we were able to listen to a dozen other students play.  I thought it was great for Nate to see where his work would take him if he decided to practice and dedicate himself to piano.  These kids were very talented.  One child played a Harry Potter song and Nate recognized.  I watched Nate perk up in his chair when he recognized the tune.  There were also older kids who played Chopin and Mozart.  It was lovely, and I was so grateful that we were there to experience it.
After the show he gave me a sweet little smile.  Such a handsome little man!
And Proud Mommy did make an appearance.  I was so thrilled for him to have the experience.  He is such a special kid.  I hope he continues to love music.  He works hard.  He practices and teaches me things about music everyday.  I know there would be music in our home no matter what, but because we have Nate we get to hear the piano, singing and do a little dancing everyday!

No comments: