It's finals time for Robert and he's totally commandeered the computer so I haven't been able to blog like I've wanted to. I can't believe that Robert is already in the middle of his first set of finals. We're one-third of the way through! Time has gone quickly, yet curiously slow. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, I've been thinking about the short amount of time that we've been here in Chicago and yet how much we seem to have done.
We've got our apartment which I still love to clean and keep orderly, Nate has turned two, Robert has spent a great chunk of time considering his future and trying to improve upon it, I've started watching a friend's baby twice a week, we've made some pretty good friends that hopefully we'll continue to get to know and love even better, we are both working hard in the church, me with nursery and Robert in the Elder's Quorum Presidency, and we hope to continue keeping busy.
While I reflected on what we've accomplished since coming here I also reflected on the emotional roller coaster that it's been. I was so worried about fitting in and making friends and Robert was worried about his scholastic performance. Between those two major things we've been in the pit of despair and also on great emotional highs. When I thought about those past moments I realized something that I've been taught before, but I seem to need refreshment on regularly. We make ourselves happy. It's up to us what kind of day we're going to have when we wake up in the morning. Worrying about friends and fitting in and doing a good job in school are important, but if we make the decision to be happy and work hard those things will happen automatically. I really believe this because it's happened more than once in my life. I really believe that with hard work and service we can be at our happiest and I can honestly say that right now after all the big transitions and changes we've been going through in the last three months, that I am happy.
2 comments:
Great post! I can definitely relate to those feelings and totally agree. I've felt kind of down a couple of times here but realized that I had a lot to be happy about.
good attitude! i am glad you are happy there!
Post a Comment