Be Ambitious
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
A Ross Tradition Lives On
This first picture really has nothing to do with anything except for the fact that I wanted to share it. It's the bouquet that Robert gave me for our anniversary way back at the end of July. They're long gone but I think they looked so pretty in the photo.
Now, to the point. Robert's family has a tradition of Dutch ovening. They create their own recipes and unlike my family, they don't have to be camping to pull them out to make a scrumptious dinner. So, one Saturday afternoon Robert decided he'd like to try his hand at the Dutch oven. I think he grew up helping and watching his dad but I am pretty sure this is one of the first times he's tried it all by himself. He got some recipes from his dad and got to work. Of course, I couldn't help myself and I was in the kitchen with him helping every step of the way.
Robert decided on three things. We had Sante Fe Chicken, scalloped potatoes with bacon and cheese, and Black Forest Cake with ice cream for dessert. It was a lot of fun and it was great to not have to be the cook one night.
By the time the food was finally done (I don't think it's possible to cook Dutch Oven and be in a hurry) my parents where home from working at the temple all day and starving.
We all dove in and it was really good. Even Nate ate everything one his plate. Dad, who also loves to cook, asked questions and offered suggestions about the recipes throughout the meal. Mom, was just so happy that food was on the table and offered to do all the clean-up. David, scarfed faster than anyone.
Dessert was one of the best parts. I love cherries so I really loved the cake. All in all, it was a huge success for first timers and we did it again the next weekend. Robert's even gone so far as to ask for our own Dutch Ovens for birthdays or Christmas. I hope this makes the Ross family proud.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Wow Iam so impressed that my baby brother cooked something besides mac&chz w/ hotdogs!!!! Way to go Bob it looks yummmy.
(wipe a tear) So proud.
My only question, I wasn't invited because?... Just kidding.
So when are you guys moving?
Also, I'm going to go do a teachers aide thing in Ethan's class in the afternoon in a few weeks and was wondering if you could watch my girls? Let me know! We need to get together, too. Maybe you can come over to my house. Maybe we can go to see Kung Foo Panda tonight at the dollar theatre tonight? We are taking the kids so we would love to have you along!
That looks like lots of fun. My dad enjoys dutch oven cooking...but doesn't do it that often. I might have to suggest he do it some more.
Those roses are beautiful and that food looks amazing!
How fun! Bishop did dutch oven for the kids on pioneer day and Miriam said that was her favorite part.
The dinner looks divine. I'm very impressed with the dutch oven skillz!
Erin, I didn't know your parents were temple workers. My mom works in the Boise temple too...her name is Becky Bates. You should ask your parents if they know her. She only works on Fridays, but you never know. :) Awesome dinner! That cake looks so good. I love cherry chocolate anything! Good job!
Post a Comment