Be Ambitious

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Yellowstone Summer 2008

This past summer Robert, Nate and I went to Yellowstone National Park with my family. Ever since I can remember my family has gone every year. I remember picking up my paternal grandparents on the way and then going to see the same things every year. As a kid I didn't really understand why we went so frequently but my grandparents loved it and looked forward to it. I think we continue to tradition in their memory.

Our first stop was Bear World outside of Rexburg. I've never been there. It turned out to be this really fun place and if you have kids I highly recommend it. You start by driving through an area that has all sorts of wildlife. There were different types of deer and moose and Nate had a great time sitting on my lap and pointing them out. After the wildlife area you drive through the bear area. It's a little like Jurassic Park to enter that part of the park because every thing is really fenced off. We saw so many bears. I think we counted over twenty. They were hilarious. Most were being lazy laying in the shade. My favorites were the ones lying in the shade on their backs. Coudn't be more relaxed, I'd think. Anyway, you could drive through as many times as you'd like once you bought the ticket. We went through more than once.

I didn't think Nate could be having a better time until we saw the little entertainment park they had after the drive through the animals. Nate's a big fan of bears and let me tell you, there was no shortage of them.
After we posed by the giant bear at the enterance we entered the petting zoo. No, you don't get to pet the bears, but there was plenty of other animals to pet. The bear cubs were fenced off and we got there at a great time because the were alert and playful. They were wrestling each other and rolling all over the ground and the climbing trees that were provided them in their pen. I reminded me alot of my two younger brothers 10 years ago.
One of my favorite memories of Bear World was how excited Robert and my brother-in-law, Jason, got when they saw this cut-out. They got us all involved. As adults it's nice to act like a kid every once in a while.
The kids wanted in on the fun after they saw all their parents cracking up. My sister, Liz, was too short for the tallest cut-out, but I think that adds to the picture.
There was this big wooden bridge set up for the perfect place to feed the ducks. My dad, being the spoiling grandpa that he is, bought all the kids their own bag a bird food to feed to the ducks. There was even a swan. Robert, I don't know how, managed to tick off the swan so that it wouldn't have anything to do with us. It even spread it's wings wide and yelled Bob.
There quite a few people at the petting zoo so the kids were all running around trying to get turns to pet the animals. Nate really loved the deer and the fawn. He pet the fawn so softly and he whispered to it.
Once he was able to catch up with the full grown deer it was hard to draw his attention to anything else. I think he stood there a pet the deer for 10 minutes.
My sister Liz and her family usually get to go every year with my parents to Yellowstone because they live in the same town. Well, last year when they'd gone to Bear World she found the giant pig at the petting zoo and apparently the pig didn't love Liz. So we had to see if they'd remember eachother. This pig and it's love of Liz had been a topic at many dinner tables so we were anxious to see it for ourselves. All she had to do was bend over and pet his side and the pig that wouldn't move from it's shade and wouldn't wake from his sleep, jumped up on his feet all in one movement and started running from her. It was hilarious to see Liz follow the pig to every resting place he could find and then run from her as fast as he could as soon as she touched him. Another family tradition has been born! :)
As if a petting zoo and a wildlife drive weren't enough Bear World has rides for young kids, but apparently kids of every age can enjoy them. Robert and I had a blast on these mellow rides with Nate. He thought they were the best thing he'd ever experienced.
My niece, Sydney, and my youngest brother, David, even got in on the action.
I loved the little roller coaster. It was shaped like a caterpillar. Nate was so happy. There's nothing better as a parent than to share new things with your kids and have them love and appreciate it.
Robert took his turn on the roller coaster with Nate. These rides were tiny. We had a hard time fitting in the chairs and seats if you haven't noticed.
The next day was spent in Yellowstone Park. Liz and I had to bug David for a picture, but we got it. It's cool to have pictures as adults that have been taken as kids. Comparing them is always crazy.
This is Artist's Point. My Grandma Kunz's favorite place in the entire park. We always made sure she got to see it even when the Diabetes had made it next to impossible for her to walk. She'd just stare at it. I swear she's there every time I visit now. From left to right: Maggie, Liz, Jason, and Sydney.
The last stop was Yellowstone Lake. It was so cold that only the kids got in. Sydney was freezing and I forced Nate to get in because my parents forced me to get it. Right of Passage, I guess. Once they got used to it it was so fun. I'm glad we got to go this past summer.

Vacations with all the family can be really stressful and hard but the good memories prevail like the great games of pinochle, M&M's until we got sick, driving for hours and hours, star gazing with the telescope, great food prepared by everyone, the boys fishing and Robert catching the only fish only to fall into a hole and flooding his waders, and giant deformed ice-cream cones at Old Faithful. Gotta love vacations.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I don't know where to start! I loved the bear pictures with half of your sisters face, I feel her pain. I'm so sure the swan didn't like you! Was Bob tailgateing? And Bob in the Jeep...$1.50 for a ride in nice, $100.00 for a camera a must, a picture of Bob riding a tiny jeep...pricelss!
And I saw that Jim Gaffigan guy, don't believe me? Hot Pcokets!

Catherine said...

Wow, sounds like fun! My family has a similar tradition: we used to go to Capitol Reef every year. We also take pictures in the same spot so we can see how we grow and change. I'm glad you had a great vacation!

BeCcA said...

I am so glad to have you back in blog land. I love the pictures from Yellowstone. Fun family trip!!!

Maren said...

K. viewed this post with me and was grinning from ear to ear, she was so excited to see pictures of Nate!

ashlee said...

Erin,
I was just thinking about you last night and I was so excited to see a comment from you on my blog. Your blog breaks seem to be too long :-) You are looking so good and skinny. That picture of you with Liz and David, you look so skinny. I'm missing you.

Andrea said...

I love Yellowstone! We went there a lot when I was growing up too. Allen is sitting by me and he enjoyed seeing your blog too.

Bayra said...

I think Hi is definetely due. Hi and happy to hear that you are looking fantastic and being happy. We are moving back to Chicago for our last year of school this Saturday. I am 38 weeks and hoping to have my baby at home after his grandma arrives on the 25th. I had a great summer and posted a blog about it if you care to read it. Enjoy your time in ID. I will miss seeing you in Chicago.