I've always known that I was lucky to grow up in a family where my parents had a great marriage. It was weird and uncomfortable as a kid seeing my parents being "mushy" with each other. However, it was nice to see them being affectionate because it let me know that they loved each other. They always sit next to each other everywhere, they always speak kindly to each other, they always kiss hello and good-bye, and they always set aside time to be together just the two of them. I find that I have had an awesome example and I actually end up doing the same things without even thinking about it.
The reason I'm writing about this is because my mom, who is still really young, had hip replacement surgery last week. She had to stay two nights in the hospital after the surgery and my dad stayed with her right next to her bed in this really uncomfortable looking leather recliner. After that he'd get up and see patients all day and come back to her when his work day was over. I went to go visit her on her second night in the hospital. I walked into the room with my oldest sister to find my dad's chair pulled up as close to mom's bed as possible. They were holding hands and dad had the TV on ESPN. I found this sight significant for two reasons. The first is that it reminded me a lot of my grandparents Kunz. They were really feisty with each other and didn't let one another get away with anything but when it came down to it, you could see how deeply they cared for and loved each other. I looked at my parents and realized that they, too, are aging and that they won't be around forever but I was comforted to know that they would have each other for forever. I always look at old couples and envy the compassion and love in their eyes when they look at their partners. I saw that in my parents that night. The second reason I found my parents interesting is the fact that even though my mom was the one in the hospital bed she was still letting my dad have the remote and she was letting him watch shows I know she hates. I've always marvelled that my mom let my dad do that. I can't stand it if Robert's watching those shows when I'm with him. Maybe I've taken it to the further extreme in my relationship and I'm the one with the remote forcing Robert to watch the Food Network. Anyway, all growing up I knew that my mom's first thoughts were for my father. Even when she was the one that should be being selfish (I think) that night she was more concerned with my dad's welfare and comfort.
I think I've had an awesome example of a marriage. I realized when I walked into that room that that is what I want. I realized how grateful I was for my husband. He's a good, patient man and he has to be to deal with my crazy emotionalness and bossiness. I also realized how grateful I am for the sealing powers of the priesthood. My parents will hold each other's hands and look into each other's eyes that way for eternity. I really have been blessed.
6 comments:
That is so awesome that you get to see such a great example of marriage. Tell your Mom hi and I hope she has a speedy recovery.
That was really sweet Erin.
And thanks for your comments on my blog. We miss you guys! If you want to see D.C. sometime, you're welcome to stay with us.
Thats such a nice reminder. I didn't have examples like that so I'm fighting this nature, but I hope to actively try to be a better example for my kids.
I loved this post! That is how I always felt about my parents. I hated (but secretly liked) when they kissed in front of us kids, and I can imagine that exact thing happening where my mom is in the hospital and my dad is watching ESPN or whatever, and she is totally content. I should be more like her! I think that I'm too feisty/bossy with Chris sometimes too...I should do better!
What a sweet blog. Your family is in my prayers, how are you holding up? I have a feeling I will be calling in the near future.
How is your mom doing? Happy birthday, Nate. I know I'm a little slow. Wish we could have been there and that Nemo cake is awesome! I'm feeling the pressure to make Arleigh's cake awesome.
Post a Comment