When Robert's parents came for Nate's baptism we had to do some geocaching. The kids are really into it now and I can't think of a better activity to do with their Grandparents. So, on a Saturday morning we took off to find the treasures of Houston, TX.
One of the geocaches happened to be at a park just outside the University of Houston campus. We didn't have much luck finding anything on the campus itself, but this park was a real treat. Once we found it I was so happy to realize that a friend of mine had mentioned the park to me. I'd wanted to come and see it but had never made it.
It's called Smither Park. The park's perimeter is a concrete wall divided up into equal sections. Local artists and anyone else who is interested can claim one of the sections and create their own murals. Together they look amazing. It's very eclectic but manages to be very inspiring.
The friends that had mentioned the park to me actually did a section of the wall. They did this octopus. They broke each of the dishes and made the mosaic themselves. I wanted to do one myself after seeing the park but, like many things, it didn't come to fruition. I'm sad I didn't get to contribute and maybe leave a little of myself in Houston.
Our next geocache was The Beer Can House. It was a different kind of inspiring. How someone could drink so much beer is one thing, but the determination to complete the project is another. The kids especially loved the chimes.
Nothing like a family photo in front of The Beer Can House!
The kids with Grandma and Grandpa Ross.
After all the geocaching fun we went to have some authentic southern cuisine. Cresent City Beignets in Houston is one of the best places we had New Orleans cuisine. Including some of the places in New Orleans! I would definitely recommend the red beans and rice.
Oh, and the beignets. Who doesn't love a lot of powdered sugar???
No comments:
Post a Comment