Be Ambitious

Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Visit from Beema and Peepa Kunz

My parents came to visit from Idaho and we decided to keep it a secret from the kids. They came in January for a couple of days. It was a school day when they landed and we thought it would be fun to surprise Nate at school with a lunch time visit from his grandparents. It was really exciting for me because they don't get to see much of each other and I was expecting a big reaction.
We waited for Nate's class outside the lunch room.  I got really excited as I saw him getting closer.  I thought he'd recognize them and be so surprised!  What were they doing here?
No such reaction.  This is what I got.  A wave.  Mom and Dad asked him if he'd recognized them and he said no.  My parents have recently lost a lot of weight.  I'm still shocked when I see them.  I've never seen them so small in all my life.  They look like different people and I'm so happy for them.  It's taken a lot of dedication and hard work and they were committed.  It's great to see the fruits of their labors.  So, if I still have a hard time processing the change I can't imagine what the kids are thinking.  Nate was a little apprehensive and I think he was thinking, "Well, they look a little bit like Beema and Peepa and Mommy is really excited and taking pictures so I think I'm supposed to be happy to see them."
They had to coax Nate to give them hugs and when he was hugged he warmed right up to them and knew who they were.
I don't know who was happier.  We told him we'd be staying for lunch and he was so excited.  He loves lunch visits.
We sat with him at the end of his table and talked.  I'm amazed at what a good kid Nate is.  He's happy and eager to please and that's infectious.  I marvel that he's my boy.  He's amazing.
So we had a good visit and sent him off to class.  We had so much fun with my parents.  We ate a lot, we shopped a lot (because you have to outfit a new body!) and we talked a lot over pinocle.  It was a a really great visit.  It makes me miss them more right after they visit because I think they're some of the best people in the world and I love to be around them.

2 comments:

Justin & Allison Harmon said...

Your parents look great! What a fun surprise for your kids :) Sounds like it was a fun visit!

Brekke said...

That's a fun surprise.

Your parents look great!

I miss pinochle.